Barn Manager Wanted for Long Island Facility - Islandia, New York
Pal-O-Mine Equestrian, a comprehensive therapeutic equine center in Islandia, NY, is seeking a full time Barn Manager for its 8 acre facility. The Barn Manager is an essential member of Pal-O-Mine’s staff and is responsible for every aspect of animal care and management of the barn staff.
This position requires a minimum of 3 years experience as a Barn or Assistant Barn Manager. An ideal candidate for this position would possess a high level of organization skills, a supreme knowledge of horses and have the ability to communicate in a proficient manner. Basic computers skills in Word, Excel and navigating the internet are also required as are attention to detail, stamina for hard work and the ability to follow through. In this significant role, quick decision-making, adaptability and leadership qualities are a must.
The Barn Manager will be able to spot irregularities in a horse’s behavior that might indicate the onset of an illness (i.e., colic, tying up) and know how to deal with it. The Barn Manager will have a good eye in noticing anything out of order, things that need to be repaired, or that could pose a danger to a horse or human and have the ability to take steps to rectify these situations. Accepting this position will require the passing of a criminal background check.
Responsibilities will include:
• Overseeing entire herd, other barn staff, delegating jobs to maintain maximum productivity keeping payroll to a minimum
• Training of new barn staff/interns
• Ordering of supplies, hay, grain and supplements as needed
• Accurate and up to date record keeping of feed lists
• Accurate and up to date record keeping of health records
• Accurate and up to date record keeping of, arranging and overseeing of Vet visits, Dentist visits, Farrier visits, worming and shots
• Dispensing and applying prescribed medications and treatments when needed and accurate record keeping of such
• Identifying health and behavioral changes of the herd and communicating with staff, instructors and volunteers any changes in care and/or procedures
• Exercising of horses; riding and/or lunging
• Turning out and moving of horses as needed
• Maintenance of barn and area surrounding barn in a neat and organized manner
• Sheets and blankets on and off as needed
• Barn check before leaving for the day
• Actively recruit suitable program horses, visiting potential horses
• Secure appropriate retirement homes for program horses
• Attendance at all Pal-O-Mine horseshows
• Attendance at all on-site fundraising events
• Attendance at regular weekly daytime staff meetings and quarterly evening meetings
• Posting schedule of lessons each day by 9:00am
• Available for emergency care of horses after hours and in extenuating circumstances even if it is your designated day off.
• Available Tuesday-Saturday Hours: 8 am – 6 pm Tuesday – Friday and 8 am - 4 pm on Saturdays.
• BS or BT in Animal Science; Equine Studies and/or Equine Management
• Valid Drivers License and the ability to trailer/haul
• First Aid/CPR/AED certification required
• Abide by Pal-O-Mine’s Code of Conduct
• Flexible training for position – must include 10 full days of side by side training with current Barn Manager of which one of those days must be a Saturday. Rate of pay for training is $10.00 per hour.
Salary and Benefits:
• Health Benefits offered after 90 day trial is completed– reimbursement of up to $255.00 monthly
• Living quarters available if needed
o No Pets
o No Smoking
• Weekly lessons
• One week paid vacation after one year of being with organization.
• Three paid personal days after 6 months and an additional two days after 9 months.
• $28,000 - $33,000 yearly salary with paid holidays, some of which you will have to work, others you will not.
Products and workshops advertised here are the responsibility of the person posting and are not endorsed by Eagala